Looking for a healthy dessert recipe that is gluten free? My recipe for easy baked apples is just that! I love how elegant this simple dessert looks.
Imagine baking apples stuffed with your favorite gluten free nuts and raisins and served with fresh whipped cream. Mmmm..good!
There are so many apples to choose from. Some are great for pies, such as Granny Smith. Others are superb for eating and of course, others for baking. When baking apples you want to choose an apple that will keep its shape. Below are my four favorite apples for baking:
Pink Lady: sweet and tart
Braeburn: sweet and spicy.
Gala: sweet and crisp.
Rome Beauty: sweet and tart.
Easy Baked Apples Recipe
4 baking apples
4 – 8 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
4 – 8 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Core apples.
- Pare 1-inch strip of skin from the upper half of each apple to prevent splitting.
- Place apples upright in a baking dish.
- Place nuts and/or raisins in center of each apple.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons over nut/raisin mixture.
- Add 1 to 2 Tablespoons of butter on top of mixture inside each apple.
- Add water into baking dish (1/4 inch deep).
- Bake uncovered 30 to 40 minutes or until tender when pierced with fork.
- Spoon syrup in the dish over apples several times during the baking process.
-> Use chopped pecans or walnuts.
-> Serve with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
-> For baked honey apples: substitute honey for sugar.
An apple tree can live for more than 100 years.
For a wonderful fall dinner, try pairing Easy Baked Apples with a meal made with pork or chicken. Did you enjoy this easy gluten free apple dessert recipe? If so, here are some more great apple recipes!
From my kitchen to yours,