Old-fashioned butterscotch cream pie gets a gluten free makeover! If you are butterscotch fan, you will love this rich and creamy pie.
I believe I got my love for anything butterscotch from my dad. When I was a teenager, he would take me to this little ice cream shop that his dad took him to when he was a kid. We always got a scoop of butterscotch ice cream.
Have you ever tried a butterscotch milk shake? To die for! Butterscotch pudding? My eyes roll back in my head. 🙂 One of my favorite gluten free cookies are oatmeal butterscotch. They are a great gift from the kitchen too! 😉
You know what I love about this pie? There are so many great ways to serve it. With homemade whipped topping. Melt in your mouth meringue. Delish! Need a serving for two? No problem! It looks so quaint in ramekins.
Gluten Free Butterscotch Cream Pie Recipe
6 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
1 cup brown sugar, dark
1 cup boiling water
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons gluten free almond blend flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 2/3 cup whole milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Bake pie pastry. Set aside.
- In a medium size skillet, melt butter over low heat.
- When butter is golden brown, add in brown sugar. Stirring constantly, boil 2 to 3 minutes or until foamy.
- Stir in 1 cup boiling water.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium size saucepan, mix together cornstarch, gluten free flour and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cook mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until boiling.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir half of mixture into slightly beaten egg yolks.
- Then blend into hot mixture.
- Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into baked pie shell and chill.
–> Garnish with homemade whipped cream.
–> Meringue is delicious on this pie. If topping with meringue, the pie shell and filling do not need to be cooled. Cool finished pie at room temperature for about 2 hours.