Are you looking for a quick and easy homemade candy recipe? Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark has just two ingredients: chocolate and peppermint. Yum!
I love giving (and receiving) homemade gifts from the kitchen. There is nothing sweeter than receiving a gift made from the heart.
Peppermint Bark is especially popular around Christmas. However, I like to make it throughout the year to give as gifts. Not only is it so easy peasy to make, but it is also a really cute gift idea. Think birthdays, Valentine’s Day, or a thoughtful gift to say thank you. For a no-fuss gift idea from the kitchen, simply place candy in cellophane bags; tie with a pretty ribbon and gift tag.
If you are short on time or money or both, this quick and easy gluten-free candy recipe is for you! With only two ingredients, I splurge and use a bar of high-quality chocolate, such as Ghirardelli chocolate. This chocolate makes a huge difference in taste and texture, taking your sweet treat from ho-hum to delicious! I love, love, love dark chocolate!!! If you are not a dark chocolate fan you can easily switch out the chocolate for semi-sweet or milk chocolate.
How to Create a Double Boiler
When melting the chocolate, you will want to use a double boiler. If you don’t have one, no worries. I don’t and probably never will. You can create your own by using pots from your kitchen. It is so easy.
To create a double boiler: simmer a few inches of water in a saucepan. Place another saucepan on top of the saucepan (Or use a metal or glass bowl. Making sure the bowl fits snug.) Do not allow the pan or bowl to touch the water. See how easy it is?
Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark
Paired with dark chocolate and peppermint, this yummy homemade candy can be made in minutes.
- 2 cups (12 ounce package) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Chocolate Chips
- 24 hard peppermint candies, crushed
- Line baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Place peppermint candies in a blender or in a heavy-duty plastic bag. Crush candies using a rolling pin.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate stirring constantly. While holding a strainer over the melted morsels, pour crushed candy to strainer. Shake to release the candy pieces over the chocolate. Set larger candy pieces aside.
- Stir peppermint candies into melted chocolate. Spread mixture to desired thickness on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle top of chocolate with remaining candy pieces. Using a spoon, gently press candy into chocolate.
- Let stand one hour or until firm. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Use a blender to crush the candies. Be sure to blend for a few seconds and then check the candies. You want some larger pieces to add to the top.
You might also enjoy making these flourless peanut butter cookies for a gluten-free gift.