Are you looking for a quick and easy homemade candy recipe? Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark has just two ingredients: chocolate and peppermint. Yum!
I love giving (and receiving) homemade gifts from the kitchen. There is nothing sweeter than receiving a gift made from the heart.
Peppermint Bark is especially popular around Christmas. However, I like to make it throughout the year. Not only is it so easy peasy to make, it is a really cute gift idea. Think birthdays, Valentine’s Day, or a thoughtful gift to say thank you.
If you are short on time or money or both, this quick and easy gluten-free candy recipe is for you! With only two ingredients, I splurge and use a high quality chocolate, such as Ghirardelli chocolate. This chocolate makes a huge difference in taste and texture, taking your sweet treat from ho-hum to delicious! I love, love, love dark chocolate!!! If you are not a dark chocolate fan you can easily switch out the chocolate for semi-sweet or milk chocolate.
When melting the chocolate, you are going to want to use a double boiler. If you don’t have one, no worries. I don’t and probably never will. You can create your own by using pots from your kitchen. It is so easy. Here is how to create a double boiler: simmer a few inches of water in a saucepan. Place another saucepan on top of the saucepan (Or use a metal or glass bowl. Making sure the bowl fits snug.) Do not allow the pan or bowl to touch the water. See how easy it is?
Paired with dark chocolate and peppermint, this yummy homemade candy can be made in minutes.
- 2 cups (12 ounce package) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Chocolate Chips
- 24 hard peppermint candies, crushed
- Line baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Place peppermint candies in a blender or in a heavy-duty plastic bag. Crush candies using a rolling pin.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate stirring constantly. While holding a strainer over the melted morsels, pour crushed candy to strainer. Shake to release the candy pieces over the chocolate. Set larger candy pieces aside.
- Stir peppermint candies into melted chocolate. Spread mixture to desired thickness on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle top of chocolate with remaining candy pieces. Using a spoon, gently press candy into chocolate.
- Let stand one hour or until firm. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Use a blender to crush the candies. Be sure to blend for a few seconds and then check the candies. You want some larger pieces to add to the top.
For a cute gift idea, place candy in cellophane bags; tie with a pretty ribbon and gift tag. Don’t you just love how easy Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark is to make?
You might also enjoy these gluten-free sweet treats: