Fresh chopped apples, combined with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, are delicious in this soft and chewy cookie. They are great for packing in school lunches and for afternoon snacks!
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups gluten-free almond blend flour
- 1 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons apple cider
- 3 cups Confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until combined. Gently stir in apples and 1/4 cup of apple cider. Drop by Tablespoons on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes and remove from oven. Let sit for five minutes and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Once cooled, frost if desired.
To Make Icing:
- In a small bowl, combine the sifted Confectioners’ sugar, remaining butter and apple cider. Stir until icing is smooth. Frost cooled cookies.
For variety, add a cup of raisins to the dough.
After frosting the cookies, let them sit out to allow the icing to “harden.”