I am in love with everything meringue! These sweet little cookies are no exception. Naturally gluten-free and grain free, they are perfect afternoon treat alongside of a cup of tea or cup of coffee. In the evening, they make scrumptious after dinner dessert.
These dainty gems are made with just five ingredients and are full of rich vanilla flavor. Can you ever have too much vanilla? I like to use homemade vanilla in this easy gluten-free recipe. My husband thinks they taste like toasted marshmallows!
Are you looking for a special homemade gift for a friend? Deliver these sweets in a cute little tea cup or basket and your friend will sing your praises forever!Print
Light and airy, these sweet little gems are naturally gluten free!
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup of cane sugar
- Separate the egg whites and place the whites in a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites. Beat on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time, beating on high-speed after each addition until sugar is completely dissolved. Continue beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a disposable pastry bag and insert a #32 star tip. Gently spoon the meringue into the pastry bag. Pipe 1 1/4 inch diameter cookies 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off the oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven for approximately 1 hour. This allows the cookies to cool without cracking.
- Remove meringues from oven and let cool completely on baking sheets. Remove cookies from parchment paper and store in a cookie jar or an airtight container.
- Try coloring these cookies for fun! Red, yellow, green, purple; the possibilities are endless!
- Add a different flavor of extract, such as peppermint, orange, strawberry or raspberry.
- For chocolate meringue cookies, decrease vanilla to 1/2 teaspoon and add 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder.
These dainty confections would be perfect for a baby shower, bridal shower, Mother’s Day tea, gifts and Christmas. Don’t you agree these Best Meringue Cookies are so much fun to make? They are hands down one of my favorite cookies!
Did you enjoy this recipe? You might also like these naturally gluten-free cookie recipes: