Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Baking with Bridget will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!
Calling all butterscotch fans! Packed full of rich flavor, Gluten-Free Oatmeal Scotchies will not disappoint!
I have baked these rich buttery cookies for over 35 years. I found the recipe on the back of a package of Toll House Butterscotch morsels. After I started baking gluten-free, I did a remake on this classic cookie recipe! Let me tell you that Gluten-Free Oatmeal Scotchies are just as delicious as their gluten-laden cousin!
I started baking them as a teenager for my dad. Dad loved the combination of oatmeal and butterscotch. Oatmeal Scotchies were his favorite cookie! Dad passed away 17 years ago, and every time I make them, it is a wonderful trip down memory lane.
I love these delicious cookies and I make several batches throughout the year. When I made them after my husband and I married, these chewy cookies quickly became his favorite as well! Although my husband is not gluten-free, he loves this new version! With just a hint of orange, you can’t just eat one!
Gluten-Free Oatmeal Scotchies travel well, making them a great gluten-free dessert to take to a church potluck or picnic!Print
Full of butterscotch flavor, these wholesome gluten-free cookies won’t last long in your cookie jar!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1 1/4 cups of your gluten-free blend flour plus 3 Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats, gluten free
- 1 2/3 cup (1 package) butterscotch chips, gluten free
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars together until creamy. Add in eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Mix in vanilla and orange peel.
- Beat in flour mixture, one cup at a time. Stir in oats and butterscotch chips. Drop by rounded Tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are brown around edges. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet about 5 minutes. Move cookies to wire rack and cool completely.
- When you take the Oatmeal Scotchies out of the oven they may not be quite done in the middle. Leave them on the baking sheet 5 to 8 minutes to finish baking before removing to wire rack to cool.
- When giving these cookies as a gift, drizzle some melted chocolate over the top of the cooled cookie. Don’t forget to let the chocolate harden before stacking the cookies.
I always have people asking for my Gluten-Free Oatmeal Scotchies recipe. Be sure to make extra!
Did you like this recipe? You may also enjoy these cookie recipes:
From my kitchen to yours,