Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Baking with Bridget will receive a small commission. This helps cover some of the costs for this site. We appreciate your support!
Gluten-Free Peppermint Patties are one of my favorite candy recipes. All you need for these decadent candies is a few ingredients and a little bit of time.
Don’t you just love the taste of chocolate and mint together? I am a dark chocolate lover! Before I met my husband, I never cared for chocolate. Crazy, huh? After we started dating, he introduced me to dark chocolate. One bite and I was in chocolate heaven!
I love the taste of rich dark chocolate combined with the cool creamy mint. Even people who are not dark chocolate fans, love the combination in this naturally gluten-free candy. I enjoy giving homemade treats to family and friends to celebrate their birthdays, Valentine’s Day and Christmas.
Gluten-Free Peppermint Patties is one of my favorite candy recipes to make for gifts. There are only FOUR ingredients in the candy filling and guess what? They are naturally gluten-free! If you are not a fan of dark chocolate, no problem! They are delicious with covered in milk chocolate too!
Dipping chocolate can be a bit time-consuming. I usually make these chocolate peppermint creams over a two-day period. I make the candy centers, form it into patties and refrigerate overnight. The next day I dip them in melted chocolate. I always dip all of my candies in chocolate in the early morning, when the house is nice and cool.
Creamy peppermint centers are covered in rich dark chocolate!
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar (plus extra if needed)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Coating Ingredients:
- 2 cups Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Chips
- 1 Tablespoon shortening or coconut oil, solidified
- Combine confectioners’ sugar, peppermint extract, butter and whipping cream in a large mixing bowl. Using a stand or hand mixer, beat until smooth and firm. Add more sugar ¼ cup (if needed) at a time to make a firm mixture that will hold a shape. Form into 1 inch balls and press down to form a patty. Place candies on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours or overnight.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a double-boiler over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth (3 to 4 minutes).
- Dip patties into chocolate mixture using a dipping fork. Let excess chocolate drip off. Place candies onto waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or place in a cool area to allow chocolate to harden.
If you do not have a dipping fork, use a regular fork. Allow chocolate to drip off the tines.
For an easy gift idea, place candies in a coffee mug, wrap in cellophane and tie with a pretty ribbon. Gluten-Free Peppermint Patties make a great after dinner mint!
Do you love chocolate? Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Cake is every chocolate lover’s dream:
It takes literally minutes to make Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark. You won’t believe how easy it is to make!