A delicious flaky gluten-free pie crust. You won’t believe how easy it is to make.
ONE-CRUST PIE DOUGH FOR 8- OR 9-INCH PIE
- 1 cup gluten-free almond flour blend
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons cold water
TWO-CRUST PIE DOUGH FOR 8- OR 9-INCH PIE
- 2 cups gluten-free almond flour blend
- 2/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 to 6 Tablespoons cold water
- Cut butter into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, cut shortening, butter and salt into flour until particles are pea size.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 Tablespoon at a time. Mix until all flour is moistened and the dough almost cleans the side of the bowl. (If additional water is needed, add 1 teaspoon of water at a time. Be careful not to make the dough too moist.)
- Gather pastry in a ball and shape into flattened round. (For Two-Crust Pie, divide pastry into halves and shape into 2 rounds.) Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out one flattened round between two sheets of plastic wrap. If the dough is too warm, refrigerate 10 minutes before placing in pie plate.
- Gently peel the top layer of plastic wrap off the dough and gently turn the dough into pie plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
For One-Crust Pie: roll out dough and gently place in pie plate. Trim overhanging dough edge of pastry 1-inch past the rim of pie plate. Fold and roll the pastry dough under, even with plate. Using a fork, flatten the edge evenly on the rim of pie plate. Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe.
For Baked Pie Shell: heat oven to 475°. Prick bottom and side thoroughly with a fork. Bake until light brown, 8 to 12 minutes; cool. Add filling.
For Two-Crust Pie: divide dough evenly in two balls. Roll out one ball in a circle and gently place in pie plate. Trim overhanging edge of pastry ½-inch from rim of plate. Place desired filling into pastry-line pie plate. Roll out other round of pastry and gently place over filling. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1-inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge. Pressing on rim to seal. Bake as directed in pie recipe.
Work with the dough quickly. If the dough starts to get soft, pop it in the fridge for 10 minutes. If filling is added to bottom crust, do not prick the crust before adding the filling. To prevent crust from over browning, cover the edges of the crust with foil and remove during the last 15 minutes of baking.