I love making homemade gluten-free pizza! Imagine fresh-baked pizza dough smothered with a herb tomato sauce and fresh toppings. Yum! Trust me when I tell you that you will never want store-bought pizza again.
I try to eat healthy most of the time. However, sometimes I just get a hankering for a slice of pizza. Can you relate? As a matter of fact, my mouth is watering as I write this. 🙂
When I started my gluten-free journey, I went a whole year without eating pizza. It was really tough especially when family and friends would eat pizza around me. Talk about having willpower!
I celebrated one year of gluten freedom with a homemade gluten-free pizza for dinner. The crust was quite odd in shape but it did resemble a pizza. Well, more or less. However, the aroma of the tomato sauce and Italian spices was amazing. The crust…well, let’s just say it was pretty bad! Bad enough that I swore off pizza for the rest of my life!!!
Then a friend of mine suggested I try Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix for my pizza crust. Honestly, I was skeptical. Oh my! I added Italian herbs to the crust and it was just delicious! .
As I mentioned before, my pizza making skills were not the best. I could not get the shape to come out round to save my life. It usually resembles something of a blob, and it would be thick in some spots and thin in others. The secret to making the perfect crust is to make sure your hands are well-oiled (I use avocado oil) to pat out the dough. If your hands are too dry, the dough sticks to them. I also turn the pan in a circle as I am patting out the dough. My crusts are round (like they should be) and even!
You can buy a pizza sauce from the grocery or make your own. Personally, I love to make my own. I have included the recipe below. You can make the sauce while the dough is rising!Print
Best Homemade Gluten-Free Pizza
Delicious homemade pizza you won’t believe is gluten-free. This recipe makes two crusts, so you can freeze one for later!
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 85 minutes
- Yield: 2 12-14 inch pizza crusts 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Ingredients for Pizza Crust:
- 3 1/2 cups of Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast or 1 yeast packet (I use Fleischmann’s Rapid Rise)
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- Homemade tomato sauce (recipe below)
- Toppings of your choice: sausage, pepperoni, black olives, bell peppers, artichokes, cheese, etc
Ingredients for Pizza Sauce:
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (8 ounce) tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon basil, dried
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon marjoram, dried
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1/4 teaspoon cane sugar or one drop liquid Stevia drops
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Instructions for Pizza Crust:
- Use a HEAVY DUTY STAND MIXER with the whisk attachment. Combine bread mix, yeast, oil, and water and mix on medium speed for two minutes.
- Pour one half dough onto a heavily oiled or parchment covered baking sheet. Use quite a bit of oil on hands to spread the dough in to crust shape. (The oil will help to keep the dough from sticking to your hands.)
- Let rest one hour.
- Spread the remaining dough on the other baking sheet. Let rest one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes on round baking sheet or pizza stone lined with parchment paper.
- While pizza crust is baking, make homemade tomato sauce (directions below) and spread over baked pizza crust. Add desired toppings.
- Bake until toppings are hot, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Instructions for Pizza Sauce:
- In small saucepan, combine all ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat for five minutes. Spread sauce evenly over pizza crust.
To freeze pizza crust: partially bake crust for 20 minutes, cool and wrap, then freeze. To bake frozen pizza: remove from freezer, add sauce and toppings. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake pizza for 15 to 20 minutes.
Keywords: Gluten-free pizza
“Everybody likes pizza! It’s a quick and easy clean-up meal.” ~ Buddy Valastro
I hope you enjoy homemade gluten-free pizza! It is so yummy!
Finish the night off with one of these gluten-free sweet treats: