I love making homemade gluten-free pizza! Imagine fresh-baked pizza dough smothered with a herb tomato sauce and fresh toppings. Yum! Trust me when I tell you that you will never want store-bought pizza again.
I try to eat healthy most of the time. However, sometimes I just get a hankering for a slice of pizza. Can you relate? As a matter of fact, my mouth is watering as I write this. 🙂
When I started my gluten-free journey, I went a whole year without eating pizza. It was really tough especially when family and friends would eat pizza around me. Talk about having willpower!
I celebrated one year of gluten freedom with a homemade gluten-free pizza for dinner. The crust was quite odd in shape but it did resemble a pizza. Well, more or less. However, the aroma of the tomato sauce and Italian spices was amazing. The crust…well, let’s just say it was pretty bad! Bad enough that I swore off pizza for the rest of my life!!!
A couple of years ago, a friend recommended Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix. On the back of the bag was a recipe for pizza crust. I was making a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread about once a week or so. It was so delicious. I kept thinking about the pizza crust recipe. I finally decided to try it. I am soooo glad I did! The crust is so delicious! It comes out perfect every single time! Warning, it will take a lot of willpower to eat just a slice or two. 🙂
As I mentioned before, I am not a good pizza crust maker. I cannot get the shape to come out round to save my life. It usually resembles something of a blob. Pamela has an amazing video on how to make pizza crust. (I do make sure my hands are well oiled to pat out the dough. It seems to be the trick for me.) Check out the video below to see how easy it is to make gluten-free pizza dough. My crusts are round (like they should be) and even!
It truly is as easy as Pamela make it look! Since it is just my husband and I at home, I make one crust to bake for that day and then freeze the other one to use later!
You can buy a pizza sauce from the grocery or make your own. Making meals from scratch really gives me piece of mind. Don’t you love knowing exactly what ingredients (and how fresh they are) you are serving to your family? You can make my homemade pizza sauce recipe while the dough is rising. It takes less than five minutes!
Delicious homemade pizza you won’t believe is gluten-free. This recipe makes two crusts, so you can freeze one for later!
Ingredients for Pizza Crust:
- 3 1/2 cups of Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast or 1 yeast packet (I use Fleischmann’s Rapid Rise)
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- Homemade tomato sauce (recipe below)
- Toppings of your choice: sausage, pepperoni, black olives, bell peppers, artichokes, cheese, etc
Ingredients for Pizza Sauce:
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (8 ounce) tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cane sugar
1 teaspoon basil, dried
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon marjoram, dried
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Instructions for Pizza Crust:
- Use a HEAVY DUTY STAND MIXER with the whisk attachment. Combine bread mix, yeast, oil, and water and mix on medium speed for two minutes.
- Pour one half dough onto a heavily oiled or parchment covered baking sheet. Use quite a bit of oil on hands to spread the dough in to crust shape. (The oil will help to keep the dough from sticking to your hands.)
- Let rest one hour.
- Spread the remaining dough on the other baking sheet. Let rest one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes on round baking sheet or pizza stone lined with parchment paper.
- While pizza crust is baking, make homemade tomato sauce (directions below) and spread over baked pizza crust. Add desired toppings.
- Bake until toppings are hot, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Instructions for Pizza Sauce:
- In small saucepan, combine all ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat for five minutes. Spread sauce evenly over pizza crust.
To freeze pizza crust: partially bake crust for 20 minutes, cool and wrap, then freeze.
To bake frozen pizza: remove from freezer, add sauce and toppings. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake pizza for 15 to 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy homemade gluten-free pizza! It is so yummy!
Finish the night off with one of these gluten-free sweet treats:
From my kitchen to yours,