Calling all pumpkin fans! You are gonna love this gluten free pumpkin chiffon pie. Light and fluffy in a rich buttery crust, it is a luscious dessert.
As I write this post, it is a sunny August day and 105 degrees outside. However, in my mind it is a beautiful fall day. I am dressed in a comfy turtleneck and jeans. While sipping on a cup of hot tea, I peer out the window and admire the trees are showing off their gorgeous fall colors. Pumpkin makes me dream of fall. Does it you?
The first time I had pumpkin chiffon pie was about 20 years or so ago. My son and I spent Christmas Day with my Godparents. Audry made this delicious pie in a graham cracker crust for dessert. After eating a heavy meal, the pumpkin chiffon pie was so refreshing. Light and fluffy and full of pumpkin flavor! Every time I have gluten free pumpkin chiffon pie I think back to that fun Christmas day. It seems the older I get the more I appreciate sweet memories like this one.
It was so much fun converting the original old-fashioned recipe to gluten free. It is wonderful in a gluten free graham cracker crust. However, I love the ginger cookie crust just as well. I kept the meringue in the recipe. (You all know how much I love meringue). However, it can also be made with whipped cream. The meringue gives it a light and fluffy texture. Plus it is super easy to make.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Chiffon Pie Recipe
1/3 cup butter, unsalted and melted
1 Tablespoon gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup whole milk
Directions for cookie crust:
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Mix 1/3 cup melted butter into 1 1/2 cups crushed gluten free gingersnaps or graham crackers.
- Pat and press into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before adding pie filling.
Directions for pumpkin chiffon:
- In a small bowl, blend together gelatin and cold water.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, pumpkin, egg yolks and milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in softened gelatin.
- Cool. When partially set, beat until mixture is smooth.
- Gently fold into meringue.
- Pile into cookie crust.
- Garnish with homemade whipping cream.
–> Follow instructions for meringue pie crust except do not bake. Combine unbaked meringue with pie filling.
–> If using a ginger cookie crust, reduce the amount of ginger in the pie filling from 1/2 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon.
“A boy doesn’t have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he
doesn’t like pie when he sees there isn’t enough to go around.” ~E.W. Howe
I can hardly wait for you to try this amazing gluten free pumpkin chiffon pie. I hope it becomes a family favorite!
This recipe is day 12 of 20 days of gluten free pie recipes.
You might also enjoy these gluten free pumpkin recipes:
From my kitchen to yours,