Soft and chewy, Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies are delightful throughout the year!
Ingredients for Sugar Cookies:
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free almond blend flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Xanthan gum
Ingredients for Glaze
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Add in egg, cream and vanilla, mixing well.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sea salt and Xanthan gum. Add to cream mixture and mix well. Form dough in a round disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll out dough in a small quantity, until very thin (1/8th inch). Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut cookies out with small cookie cutters. Bake for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool for two minutes before removing to cooling rack. Cool completely before icing with the sugar cookie glaze.
Instructions for Glaze:
- In a medium size bowl, sift sugar. Stir in milk and vanilla until thoroughly blended.
- Add food coloring in one drop at a time, until desired color is achieved.
- For a thinner glaze, add ½ teaspoon of milk at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- “Paint” glaze on with a pastry brush.
- When rolling out dough, work with small quantities. Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to use.
- In a hurry? Sprinkle with colored sugar before baking.
- Use a butter knife to gently transfer the cookies to a parchment lined cookie sheet for baking.
- A small glass is also perfect for cutting out cookies.
Keywords: gluten-free sugar cookies