If you love sweet potatoes just wait until you try gluten-free sweet potato pie! Baked in a flaky pie crust, this delicious old-fashioned pie is full of sugar and spice!
Gluten-free sweet potato pie is just as delicious as its cousin pumpkin pie. Although both pies are made with similar ingredients, the pies textures are quite different. Pumpkin pie consists of a dense, creamy custard. The sweet potato pie’s filling is light and airy.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables. I love all the health benefits they have. They are full of vitamins B6, C and D. Did you know sweet potatoes have natural slow releasing sugars? Yep! Which means your body does not experience sugar spikes or fatigue after eating them.
This powerhouse veggie has a rich orange color which means they are full of carotenoids. Carotenoids help strengthen our eyesight and boost our immunity to disease. Plus, sweet potatoes are powerful antioxidants which help to protect against the effects of aging. If anti-aging justifies eating a slice of homemade sweet potato pie a day, then sign me up!
Did you know…
- sweet potatoes are actually roots not tubers.
- they are fat and cholesterol free.
- famous scientist George Washington Carver developed 118 products from sweet potatoes including glue for postage stamps and starch for sizing cotton fabrics.
- this super food can be substituted in any recipe calling for squash, apples or white potatoes.
One of my favorite ways to eat these healthy potatoes is baked with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. Yum! I devour the whole potato, including the skin.
This old-fashioned pie recipe is a great alternative to pumpkin pie. I love rich taste that the spices and homemade gluten-free vanilla extract lend to this gluten-free dessert.Print
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pie
A rich and spicy custard baked in a delicious flaky crust!
- Gluten-free pastry for one 9-inch pie
- 1 3/4 cup cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed cooked sweet potatoes, salt and milk. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in cane sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and melted butter until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into a pastry-lined pie pan.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until filling is set and crust is golden brown.
Delicious served warm or cold. Serve plain or with a dollop of whipped cream.
Are you looking for a delicious alternative to apple pie? Gluten-Free Mock Apple Pie tastes just like apple pie only it’s made with zucchini!
If you love pumpkin, I have just the pie for you! Try this gluten-free pumpkin pie! It is delicious!