Gosh, is there anything better than a bowl of homemade gluten-free chicken soup when you are feeling under the weather? I don’t know about you, but it is my number one “go to recipe” for cold and flu season! We almost always feel better instantly!
Homemade Gluten-Free Chicken Soup Tips
I meal plan every month but sometimes things happen (like when you forget to take the meat out of the freezer in time for it to thaw!). Let’s be honest, colds and the flu don’t bother to RSVP before they come calling. Keeping a well-stocked pantry helps you to make this soup on a whim. Below are my best tips to help you make homemade chicken soup.
- Use cooked chicken: buy a plain roasted chicken from the deli, debone and store the meat in the freezer.
- Canned chicken is also a great alternative. Read the food labels to make sure there are no additives containing gluten.
- Chicken broth: use a ready-made broth (look for it in your grocery’s soup aisle) or chicken bouillon. Herb Ox is one of my favorite gluten-free brands. Click here to get it in granules or cubes.
- Use frozen or canned vegetables in place of fresh.
- Substitute dried parsley for fresh.
Easy peasy, right? Right! Let’s not waste another minute and get to the recipe!Print
Homemade Gluten-Free Chicken Soup
A hearty gluten-free chicken soup that can be made in 30 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut up
- 3 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 medium stalks celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1/2 teaspoon fresh
- In a large pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Slowly pour chicken broth and water into pan and heat to boiling. Add carrots and celery. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until carrots are done (about 15 minutes). Stir in cooked chicken and parsley. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve in bowls or mugs.
- Add in 1/4 cup small peas with chicken and parsley.
- Stir in 1/2 cup uncooked rice with vegetables.
Keywords: homemade gluten-free chicken soup
Soups are perfect for serving during the fall and winter months. They are so easy and leave your kitchen smelling delicious! You might also enjoy Hearty Gluten-Free Black Bean Soup. It is one of my favorites!
Gluten-Free Frosted Pumpkin Bars are a wonderful way to end a simple meal.