Are you wondering how to eat gluten-free on a budget? Let me show you how easy it is with my nine proven tips!
The first time I priced a gluten-free cake mix at the store I almost had heart failure! It was over $7! Whoa! It is challenging enough to eat gluten-free without the stress of worrying about our food budget.
Yes, food prices are always on the rise and specialty foods, such as gluten-free cookies, cakes,
After researching foods that did not contain gluten, I discovered some products that have always been naturally gluten-free now have a gluten-free label along with a higher price tag. Don’t pay extra for something just because of the fancy label on it.
How to Eat Gluten-Free on a Budget
Don’t you sometimes wish you did not have to budget for food? I know I certainly do. These 9 tips on how to eat gluten-free on a budget will help you to meet your weekly or monthly food budget!
- Menu planning. It really helps to know the meals that you are going to prepare, what items are in your pantry and what items you need to buy. I cannot function without a meal plan.
- Bake from scratch. Boxed mixes are not only expensive but are full of processed ingredients. You can buy four pounds of gluten-free almond blend flour for the price of two boxed cake mixes.
- Cook and freeze your own meals. Eating out is expensive. Try cooking double batches and freeze the leftovers. It’s a perfect way to have a healthy homemade gluten-free freezer meal for those days you don’t have time to cook or you just want to take a break.
- Buy in bulk. Buying in bulk is generally the cheapest way to shop. However, make sure you have storage for those items. I have stashed bulk food inside closets and under the bed. It is easy to buy bulk online from Amazon. Locally, I buy bulk foods from Costco, Winco, and case lot sales at the local grocery store.
- Sales and coupons. Supermarket weekly ads are another great way to save money. The grocery store I shop at has a “savings card.” I go to their website and load “virtual coupons” to my card. At the checkout, I swipe my card and the coupons are redeemed. I love watching the price decrease!
- Shop outside the aisles. Buy real food instead of processed, pre-packaged foods. Yes, they are more convenient but they cost so much more.
- Shop in the season. Buy produce at its lowest price when it is in season. If you able to and have storage, buy fresh veggies and fruit in bulk and can or freeze them. It is a great way to enjoy these good foods in the off-season for the in-season price.
- Shop at an ethnic market. Many cultures thrive on diets with little to no gluten. A great example is rice flour. Due to its demand, rice flour will cost less at an Asian grocery store.
- Shop Amazon. I love Amazon!!! Every month, I do over half of my shopping through them. Amazon offers free two-day shipping with an Amazon Prime Membership. The $120 membership fee more than pays for itself.
I hope you have found these 9 tips helpful to know how to gluten-free on a budget. Leave me a comment and let me know your favorite tip for keeping on your budget.