My indoor herb garden has brought me so much unexpected joy! Are you one the fence about growing herbs? Discover 5 reasons you should plant some today!
When I started growing my indoor herb garden, I was a bit apprehensive. After all, I live in the desert where gardening is quite challenging. Rosemary is one herb that loves the heat and does great in the desert. However, other herbs wilt and die due to the extreme summer heat. It is quite discouraging.
After my husband installed our garden window over my farmhouse kitchen sink, I thought, why not give indoor herb gardening a try. I was sure the herbs would cook when the south sun came barreling in the window. I have never been so happy to be wrong!
5 Reasons To Grown An Indoor Herb Garden
- Saves money. Store-bought herbs are quite pricey and do not always have a fresh flavor. I have paid as much as $6 a bottle for dried spiced herbs with no taste at all. You can grow your own indoor herb garden for pennies and have herbs bursting with flavor.
- Availability. I love having fresh herbs at my fingertips all year round. Just imagine seasoning hearty winter soups with fresh basil or relaxing with a good book and a hot cup of fresh chamomile tea. Yum!
- Food tastes better. Cooking with fresh herbs add delicious flavor to food. It gives me great satisfaction to snip and toss them in shrimp bisque or scrambled eggs.
- Create beauty. Herbs add natural beauty to your kitchen window. It is so fun to see the natural green color and it is so inviting. I have a pot of lavender my husband bought me over a year ago and it blooms every month! Not to mention herbs add such great color when you garnish food with them. It’s a joy snipping fresh cilantro to dress up pork Chili Verde, tacos and enchiladas with them.
- Fun. Growing herbs are just plain fun! I like to grow my herbs from seeds and watching them poke their heads up in the soil. It takes 7 to 10 days for the seeds to germinate. About the time I have decided nothing is going to happen, the first one peeks through the soil. After that, it seems like the rest of them pop up by the hour. The other day my daughter-in-law and granddaughter were over and we planted seeds together. We had so much fun!
I hope you feel inspired to start your own indoor herb garden. Oh my goodness, I wish I would have planted mine years ago. It is so rewarding to
Are you looking for some cool indoor garden ideas? You might enjoy 9 Fabulous Indoor Kitchen Herb Garden Ideas
Check out these easy tips on How to Plant an Indoor Kitchen Herb Garden.
With so many herbs to choose from deciding what to plant can be difficult. Here are a few of my favorite kitchen herbs to grow.