Homemade vanilla ice cream takes me down memory lane to hot summer days growing up in Missouri. On Father’s Day and 4th of July, Dad would get out the ice cream maker. I always had the honor of sitting on top of it while dad or my two older brothers turned the crank.
Is there anything better than homemade vanilla ice cream? Sundays are “Ice Cream Sundays” at our house. Yep, every Sunday evening we have a scoop (or two) of ice cream. What a yummy way to start the week. 🙂
Recently, my husband bought me an automatic ice cream maker on Amazon. It is nothing fancy and is super easy to use. Boy, does it make yummy ice cream! I keep bagged ice in the freezer and an extra carton of ice cream salt in the pantry so I can make this yummy dessert at a moment’s notice. I love knowing our homemade ice cream is made with simple “good for you” all natural gluten-free ingredients.
I created this recipe using a “custard”. It is well worth the extra step of cooking it. However, there have been times when I needed an easy dessert and did not have time to cook the custard. I simply stirred all the ingredients into the ice cream canister. It was very good.
What Makes Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream So Good?
It comes down to one thing: ingredients. I splurge and purchase organic milk and organic heavy whipping cream. It makes all the difference. Non-organic whipping creams can contain an unnecessary thickening agent, called carrageenan. It leaves behind a thick coating on your tongue that is quite unpleasant. Be sure to read your ingredient labels before purchasing.
Ice Cream Toppings
There are a lot of yummy homemade ice cream recipes out there. I prefer plain ol’ vanilla. Actually, it is not that plain. Homemade vanilla extract adds a rich, buttery flavor. One bite and my eyes roll back in my head! Occasionally, I will add homemade toppings, such as chocolate syrup or strawberry freezer jam, for a yummy ice cream sundae. A sprinkle of butterscotch baking chips are a delightful topping too. I eat it as slow as I can, savoring every spoonful.Print
Rich. Creamy. Ice cream never tasted so good!
- 2 cups whole milk (organic)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (organic)
- 3 large eggs yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, salt and 2 cups of milk. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally, until mixture is steaming. Reduce heat.
- In medium bowl, slightly beat egg yolk. Slowly whisk half of the hot mixture into the eggs and pour back into saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thick, about three minutes. Remove from heat and refrigerate overnight or until chilled.
- When ready to make ice cream, stir heavy cream and vanilla into chilled custard mixture. Pour into ice cream canister and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for churning.
If I could eat dessert every day, I would eat one scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. I must warn you – after trying this easy recipe, your family will never want store-bought ice cream again!
Are you a vanilla fan? If so, the recipes below are just for you!