Remember those old-fashioned pumpkin cookies that Grandma used to make? Full of chewy spicy goodness, Summer’s Pumpkin Cookies are one of my favorite gluten free cookie recipes.
Our god-daughter, Summer, loved these cookies and could hardly stop eating them. I made them especially for her for a family potluck, where the cookies also received rave reviews. Besides their wonderful flavor, the great thing about these gluten free cookies, is that they are so easy to make.
Pumpkin, which is part of the squash family, is one of my favorite fall fruits! An excellent source of fiber, pumpkin is full of vitamin A and beta-carotene which is great for your eyes. Those important carotenoids (the stuff that gives the pumpkin its bright orange color) help to prevent cancer and wrinkles! Do we need anymore reasons to eat this gourd?
Summer’s Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
1 1/2 cups cane sugar
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups gluten free blend flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg, pumpkin and vanilla, until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, until thoroughly blended.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons on to parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- If desired, make frosting for cookies. See below for recipe.
2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 oz. cream cheese
1-3 Tablespoons milk
1-2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, butter, vanilla extract and 1 Tablespoon of milk.
- Beat until smooth, gradually add in more milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. This is a thick frosting not a glaze.
- Frost each cookie, allow icing to harden before stacking on a plate or in cookie jar.
These cookies are yummy without frosting but the frosting just makes them that much more irresistible!
If you are looking for an easy gluten free dessert recipe that is perfect for a large crowd, this is it! Here are some more great pumpkin dessert recipes.
From my kitchen to yours,